About The Country Club

The Country Club exists to divert its members by recording and comparing members’ travels. There are 195 UN Member States/Official Observor, and we are trying to visit them all. Check our progress on the Club Ladder, to the right, or by clicking the link for the List of Countries Visited below that. Curious how we count? Click The Country Club By-Laws link.

Monday, December 23, 2013

Three Members, Three Continents

Mr Negus reported a November visit to Burma and Messrs v/d Z and B report visits in South America and Africa below.  

Mr v/d Z reports:

The good news: I managed to combine my workshop in Bariloche, ARGENTINA, with a weekend Andes cross-over into CHILI, both in which local wines were consumed. And to top the itinerary, I complemented last weekend in Buenos Aires - what a great town, perhaps in my top three worldwide - with a day's ferry return to Colonia, URUGUAY, which I remembered you having told about as interesting TCC option a decade ago. In other words: I keep on the speed... 110!

Mr B reports


Dear fellow Country Clubbers

Alas after a long hiatus I spent a few weeks in Cameroon this October – the first time for me in West/Central Africa.  I am happy that my work was focused on supporting PSI - based in Yaounde.  A few days trying to get around in Douala was more than enough (Douala has a “mini Lagos” reputation).

As per my escapist tendencies, and the rules of this venerable club, Various drinks were consumed – including palm wine!

Although given the humid climate, I ended most days sampling a wide range of beers.  Cameroon has one of the most diverse selections of beer in Africa. Les Sociétés Anonymes des Brasseries du Cameroun (SABC or BC) is the main brewer, with an interesting ownership profile. Les Brasseries et Glaceries d'Indochine (BGI) owns a 75% shareHeineken 8.8% and of course Cameroon's president, Paul Biya’s hand is in this profitable business. Les Brasseries brews, bottles, and distributes: "33" Export, Beaufort, Castel, and Tuborg, as well as three beers from De Hooiberg (The Haystack): AmstelHeineken andMützig.

I hope to hear about more global exploration from all of you in the coming year

 - All the best

Chris

No comments:

Post a Comment